"Simpsons" creator Matt Groening: Springfield named after Oregon -
Knowing that Groening is from Portland, this always seemed obvious to me. Also, because Springfield, Oregon is kind of a dreary place that seemed to fit the show. But this article also reveals that the entire Simpson family, except Bart, is named after Groening’s actual family. His father’s name was Homer, his mom was Margaret, his sisters were Lisa and Maggie. He grew up on Evergreen Terrace - the street the Simpsons live on - and he even named the bullies at school after his own terrible classmates. Talk about catharsis. Somehow all of this makes me like The Simpsons more.
Get off the slide Donnie and eat this Happy Meal.
Future Timelines -
- 2035 - A research group in Wales create bacteria in the lab that form crystals which resonate with radio frequency.
- 2041 - The same group demonstrates that they can modify a percentage of the glia in a mouse brain to resonate with RF, opening up the possibility for biological radio receivers. These glia are dubbed “radiocytes”
- 2043 - Examining data, the researchers find proof that the mice can respond to RF as a sensory stimulus.
- 2047 - Transgenic mice pass genes for creating radiocytes on to offspring.
- 2059 - Researchers in India announce that they have a “grammar” of radio signals that mouse brains interpret as information. At the same time they show that these signals are only perceived by the areas of the brain nearest the radio receivers.
- 2060 - Radio transmitters are implanted in some of the mice. Within 1 week, the implanted mice are communicating with each other using the grammar discovered by the Indian team.
- 2112 - The first humans to be born with radiocytes enter school.
- 2128 - The Wiki, a human exomemory, is born when a radiocytotic teenager discovers how to store and encode knowledge in an external repository.
- 2131 - Radiocytotic people connected to the Wiki begin spontaneously sleeping only 3 hours a night. It is found that the presence of unlimited external storage radically improves the brain’s ability to reorganize and consolidate, reducing the need for sleep.
- 2201 - 98% of humanity alive has either been born with radiocytes or has had them implanted through stem cell therapy. Electronic devices can be controlled by a thought. Experience, perception, and emotion can now be encoded in The Wiki as humanity refines its new abilities. No-one remembers what it’s like to not have the sum-total of humanity’s knowledge on hand.
This might be the greatest text-only Tumblr I’ve ever read.
For the last three months I’ve awakened with the goal of finding a photo of a duck and cat in a serious business discussion.
“May your hats fly as high as your dreams.” - Michael Scott
Gotcha nose game or cutting off her air supply?
Newt Gingrich Plays “Gotcha!” With An Old Lady - The Frisky
Newt Gingrich holding an older woman’s nose.
This will be my favorite part of The Avengers.
I didn’t know Captain America had a corgi